If you need assistance, please call 503-941-0276

Costs: What is Owner Responsibility vs. Tenant Responsibility

Thursday, December 5, 2019   /   by AJ Shepard

Costs: What is Owner Responsibility vs. Tenant Responsibility

When you move into a property, it should be clean inside and out.

There should be no safety issues, all appliances should be in working order, there should be no plumbing issues, landscaping should be in good order.

When you move out, the property should be returned in the same condition as when you moved in.

Things can happen to the property during your tenancy. Some of those things will be covered by the owner, such as a water heater that fails, a gutter that starts leaking, an oven element that burns out, a faucet that breaks or leaks, a sudden pipe that bursts, a tree that falls on the property, a furnace that fails, as long as it's not due to not changing the filters, etc.

Other things are tenant damage such as a clog in the tub caused by excessive hair, a clogged toilet due to a foreign object being put into the toilet, water damage that was not reported which caused excessive damage, broken window. Tenants are responsible for replacing all light bulbs as needed, replacing furnace filters at least 4 times per year if you have a gas furnace, changing smoke alarm batteries as needed, keeping the landscaping looking nice, with no debris on-site, and keeping the property cleaned and maintained in general during your tenancy.

When you move, there will be normal wear and tear that the owner will take care of. Small nail holes (3D nail size or smaller), recalling shower/tub and small touch up painting.

The following are examples of items which are never considered normal wear and tear:

Smoke damage of any type, resident painting with any other color other than the original color, damage caused by pets, any debris left on sight, inside or outside.

A move out inspection with one of our agents will give you the opportunity to find out what may be considered tenant damage items in advance so you have the opportunity to correct those issues before you move out.


If you live in a single-family home, you will need to put the utilities in your own name. In the city of Portland, trash stays in the owner's name and you will be billed back for the cost of service.

Multi-family homes that share meters for electricity or water will be billed based on the square footage of your unit.

Your tenant welcome letter will have the specifics for utilities for your particular property outlined. In some cases, the owner may pay one or more utility. Your lease will have that information. The owner can choose to later amend by sending a change of utility addendum.
Uptown Properties
Chris Shepard
3526 SW Troy
Portland, OR 97219
Fairway Independent Mortgage Corporation
Mike Maier
5410 SW Macadam Ave, Ste 100
Portland, OR 97239

The vendor(s) appearing on this website has entered into an agreement with the RealtorĀ® to share advertising costs and expenses for this website. As such, the vendor(s) has paid to be placed on this website
The content relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the IDX program of the RMLS(TM) of Portland, Oregon. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than AJ Shepard - Uptown Properties are marked with the RMLS(TM) logo, and detailed information about these properties includes the names of the listing brokers. Listing content is copyright Ā© RMLS(TM), Portland, Oregon.

All information provided is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed and should be independently verified. This content last updated 11/30/2021 4:21 PM CST. Some properties which appear for sale on this web site may subsequently have sold or may no longer be available.

This site powered by CINC: www.cincpro.com